Owners and managers of all types and sizes of organizations reflect on reducing the costs of their activities. A significant proportion of the costs is the cost of energy (consumption of heat, electricity, fuel).
The energy management system (EgMS) is an effective tool for all types of organizations to effectively manage and change the situation of energy consumption. By implementing this system, energy management becomes an integral part of organizational structures.
Implementation and certification of energy management brings advantages in several areas:
- energy effectiveness improvement
- reducing the energy intensity of processes
- increase competitiveness
Advantages for organisation management:
- tool for obtaining data needed for planning and establishing goals
- increase of organization ethics in relation to energy consumption
In the international dimension, a key standard for the introduction of EgMS and its certification is ISO 50001 Energy management systems. Requirements with guidance for use.
Standard is a powerful tool for effective management of energy consumption, including the key requirements that an organization must meet to obtain a certificate from the certification authority. The certified organization is eligible for the use of certification mark.
EXAMPLE: Certificate ISO 50001
Certification mark ISO 50001
Revised ISO 50001 energy management system standard
The international ISO 50001:2018 standard that replaces ISO 50001:2011 was issued for energy management system in August 2018. 3-years transition period that ends 21.08.2021 was set up. After this date all certificates issued according to ISO 50001:2011 become invalid.
Certified organizations should adopt their energy management system to ISO 50001:2018 requirements.
New standard brings several changes, e.g.:
- understanding the needs and expectations of interested parties
- enhanced focus on leadership and top management responsibility
- risks and opportunities control
- extended requirements for communication
- enhanced focus on planning and collection of energy data and others
- extended requirements for monitoring, measurement, analysis and energy performance evaluation