There is an exact proof that many organisations are expecting more responsible approach to environment from their suppliers and this new business ethics in many cases has led to the request for suppliers to establish the environmental management system (EMS) as the part of their business activity.
Environmental management means systematic approach to environmental protection in all aspects of business activities throughout which the organisations integrate an environmental maintenance to the business policy and also to the every day activity.
The approach consists in establishment, implementation and maintenance of the correctly structured environmental management system, which takes a part in the whole management system and is related to all parts of organisation environmental behaviour.
Implementation and certification of environmental management system brings advantages in many ways:
- Energy saving
- Waste minimalization (waste disposal costs decrease)
- Minimalization of environmental fees and penalties for environmental pollution
Advantages for organisation management:
- A tool for obtaining of information needed for planning and objectives establishment
- Risk minimalization of environmental accidents
- Increasing of organisation ethics
- Organization image improvement
- Good public relations and good relations with a local government
In the international dimension there is a key standard for EMS implementation and its certification ISO 14001 – Environmental management systems. Requirements with guidance for use.
The standard provides specification of EMS including key requirements, which the organisation shall fulfill to obtain a certificate from certification body. A certified organisation is qualified to use a certification mark for certified scopes.
EXAMPLE: ISO 14001 Certificate
ISO 14001 Certification mark